Polishing Profits with a Well-Run Nail Department
by Jill Wilson
With over 20 years experience as a nail tech, 10 years as a salon owner, and after consulting with hundreds of salons and spas, I’ve found that many salons and spas are ready to throw in the towel when it comes to the nail department. Don’t!
The potential for profit IS there when a salon…
- creates consistent nail department offerings.
- provides quality services and products.
- implements dedicated efforts to build the nail clientele.
- trains the nail department with nail-specific training.
Here are 12 tasks we can accomplish together with ONE DAY of nail department consulting and education.
- Break down each service and establish service standards.
- Teach time-saving techniques to empower staff to become more effective and efficient.
- Construct and customize an add-on menu that is easy to use and exclusive to your salon.
- Suggest verbiage to take the pressure off of offering add-ons.
- Show the math and the money behind pedicure and manicure/pedicure packages.
- Focus on how to introduce products for home care without feeling like you’re pressuring the guest.
- Provide advice on professional products so nail techs know exactly which products to use with every service.
- Make retail product suggestions so we have enough to sell to reach level chart goals.
- Suggest home care kits and products to maintain proper nail health.
- Address sanitation requirements according to your state laws.
- Inspect storage cabinets, the stations, pedicure thrones, working carts/areas, etc.
- Receive a personalized salon report featuring new add-on menus, service standards, signage, verbiage, salon suggestions, etc.
My work as a Nail Tech and Nail Department Consultant also led me to co-author the Summit Salon NAIL-SPECIFIC Associate Program. Designed specifically for nail techs it will give your nail department the specific goals and initiatives they need to build a better future for themselves and the salon as a whole. A great option for salons looking to grow an existing nail department or for those considering starting one.
Make the first step towards a profitable nail department by scheduling a phone consult! We’ll discuss any additional nail department needs and concerns so they can be incorporated into your consulting visit. Commit to making your nail department a priority! Call: 1-800-718-5949
Want to read more? Download a pdf copy of Polishing Up Your Bottom Line (516K)